Friday, November 17, 2017

Where Does the Time Go?

I've been busy with a bunch of different things over the past year, and as may be apparent, none of those have been blogging. I may have been doing a good bit of musing. I've just failed to write most of it down, and none of it here.

What have I been busy with? I've been reading quite a bit, going to lectures and theater any chance I could, working to keep up with the maintenance on a couple houses inside and out, and taking Marcie to dog training. So no lazy bones here. I guess I've also been disgustedly watching the antics of 45, waiting for him to hoist himself on his own petard, or should I say Tweetard.

But, what good is a blog if it's not blogged on, at least periodically? So blog we shall.

Hey, how about those Pittsburgh Steelers? They played one helluva game last night, throttling the Tennessee Titans 40 - 17 and taking a stranglehold on their division.

I love my sports, and in addition to football, I enjoy watching college basketball and the NHL. So I'll be keeping my eye on the Steelers, the Maryland Terps basketball teams, and the Capitals and Penguins in the NHL. That last one only gives me problems of allegiance when they're playing each other. Then I just want a good game.

Of course the main reason I started this blog was to muse about my current reading. This year it's been all over the place. I've tried to read a bit more outside of the crime fiction genre. Right now I'm reading Kazuo Ishiguro's Never Let Me Go. I didn't read the description of it, but I don't think I was expecting this great of a departure from Remains of the Day. I'm enjoying it and it's holding my interest, so we'll see what I think when I've finished it. I'm also listening to Since We Fell by Dennis Lehane, my car book, and my morning nonfiction, mind expansion book is The Intellectual Devotional, 365 daily one-page overviews of topics from history, literature, religion, mathematics and science, fine arts, philosophy, and music. My grey matter is just exploding all over the place.

Some of my other outside reads this year have been a short story collection by Flannery O'Conner called A Good Man Is Hard to Find and Other Stories, Gilead by Marilynne Robinson, The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion, and Born to Run, Bruce Springsteen's autobiography. One favorite is The Round House by Louise Erdrich. If I can figure out how to do it, I'll renew the Goodreads link onto the blog that shows the titles of all the books I've read this year.

So I've blogged and I feel good about myself. And just because every blog should have some other media in it, here's a photo of Marcie, and to start you thinking about the coming spring, some peonies and azaleas too.

Have a great weekend, everyone.



No comments: