Monday, August 12, 2024

Reenergizing my Musing Engine

     Here we are, eight months into 2024 and over a year removed since I wrote any entry for this blog, or, considering the name, done any musings. I've had a bunch; I just haven't written them down, Well, I'm feeling inspired, so let's get the ball rolling again.

     In a few weeks we'll be at Bouchercon 2024 in Nashville, TN. I've been to Nashville before and visited many of the highlight sites, Opry, Ryman, etc., so this trip it's all about seeing my mystery friends, old and new and celebrating mystery fiction and nonfiction. 

At Bouchercon, The Anthony Awards, Barry Awards, and Macavity Awards will be presented and 2023 offered many fine works to be considered for recognition. I've read a number of them (and will probably add a few more in the next two weeks) so I'm looking forward to seeing if my favorites take home some trophies.

So far I've read two Best First nominees. THE PEACOCK AND THE SPARROW by I.S. Berry won the 2024 Edgar Award for Best First. It's a suspenseful tale of Arab Spring CIA intrigue in Bahrain. The second was AGE OF VICE by Deepti Kapoor, a story of the Wadia crime family in India told through the lives of three young people trying to find their own way through a hostile environment.

In the Best Novel or Thriller Category nominations, I and readers had a rich and diverse selection of books to choose from. S.A. Cosby with another great story in ALL THE SINNERS BLEED, Eli Cranor with a great sophomore effort in OZARK DOGS, Jordan Harper's EVERYBODY KNOWS, and Mick Herron with THE SECRET HOURS provided hard-boiled, gritty excitement. TIME'S UNDOING by Cheryl Head presented a historical story asking the question of whether things have really changed that much since 1929. Richard Osman's latest entry in the Thursday Murder Club series, THE LAST DEVIL TO DIE, was both exciting and poignant in equal measures. William Kent Krueger continues to issue excellent standalone stories as in his recent novel THE RIVER WE REMEMBER. 

In the Best Paperback (or e-book) Category, NO HOME FOR KILLERS by E.A. Aymar and MAGIC CITY BLUES by Bobby Matthews were excellent reads.

That's my award reading so far this past year. I think the field is wide open and there may be a few surprises in the results. However, from all the entries I've read, there won't be one undeserving winner. 

If you're going to be in Nashville, I hope to see you there. I'll be on a panel Thursday, 8/29 at 8:00 AM (Yawn!), Bayou CD called "Don't Fear the Reaper". Also paneling with me are Moderator: Raquel V Reyes, Oline Cogdill, Dru Ann Love, and Steve Steinbock. Hope to see you there. 

No comments: